The chronicled witticisms, gaffes, and other such laughs of an aspiring writer.

15 May 2011

Word of new job ruins Mother's Day

I ruined Mother’s Day last weekend. After three years of living at home, I announced that I was leaving Epsom.

And The Daily Dispatch.

The move developed a month ago, when I noticed a job posting in the Dispatch break room. As the microwave heated my Healthy Choice meal, I scanned the posting for an advertising director position at our sister paper, The Sanford Herald.

“I think I’m going to apply,” I told my boss, Deborah Tuck. “What’s the company procedure for doing this?”

Deborah handed me a form to sign, which likewise required our publisher’s signature – a corporate legality for those seeking jobs at other newspapers within our company.

James Edwards was on the phone when I flung the form onto his desk and scurried away with, “See you later!”

I’m not sure why this formality made me so nervous. But it did. As did the subsequent conversations between my boss and me, in which I explained my desire to professionally grow within our company.

“Good luck, kiddo,” James replied in his usual motivational tone.

After three interviews and numerous conversations, The Sanford Herald’s publisher offered me the job.

“Well, did you accept it?” Mama groaned when I phoned her and Daddy to deliver the news.

“Yes,” I said – answered only by silence.

“Don’t be disappointed!” I begged, despondent that my promotion had destroyed Mama.

“Well … congratulations!” she feigned a hearty, high-pitched reply. “I’m going to hand the phone over to your father now.”

I knew I was in the doghouse when she referred to Daddy as “my father.”

I talked to Daddy, whose reaction was tantamount to Mama’s. After I ended the phone call, I quickly dialed my baby sister Audrey.

“Well, I’ve ruined Mother’s Day,” I moaned.

“Uh, oh,” Audrey replied, all too familiar with Mama’s laments during such transition times.

“She’s devastated,” I sniffled, re-enacting the full-fledged mother/daughter drama.

“She’ll be OK,” Audrey consoled me, reminding me that Mama had survived my leaving home twice before.

“I don’t know, sister. She’s really upset.”

After a moment’s silence, Audrey joked: “Well, I guess I really am the favorite child!”

Granny Virgie didn’t handle the news any better.

“New job!” she pouted. “You don’t need to leave your granny!”

Acting fast, I appeased Granny by promising she could visit me in my new apartment.

“Good! I’m gonna come stay with you for a few weeks,” she smiled.

Visions of Granny’s extended trips to Sanford, well … they incited a panic-attack.

“Oh Lord, what have I done?” I gasped as Granny’s spirits soared with our moving truce.

I still haven’t figured out how to undo that deal. And I doubt I will.

In a week, I’ll uproot myself from my Franklin County home and The Daily Dispatch.

But as the familiar adage goes, “Home is where the heart is.” And as I expand my heart to a new home in Lee County, be assured I’ll carry you all with me … the many friends I’ve gained while sharing my stories each Sunday in The Daily Dispatch.

1 comment:

  1. Congrats on your new job! Good luck and don't worry, your mom will get over it :)

    ReplyDelete